There are thousands of diet books on the market today, countless TV shows dedicated to food preparation, and endless online programs and webpages filled with great (and some not-so-great) nutrition advice. Finding the right eating habits that best suit your needs can be overwhelming, confusing, and just plain not fun. So, when it comes to healthy eating, what’s are you supposed to do and who to believe?
THE TRUTH IS THAT WE EACH NEED TO FIND OUR OWN WAY OF HEALTHY EATING. A WAY THAT FEELS GOOD, NOURISHES THE CELLS OF OUR BODIES AND MAKES US FEEL HAPPY AND HEALTHY.
AS FOR ME… I love the cooking experience and finding new flavors, textures and foods to try. I eat a primarily plant based diet that includes a LOT of greens, fruits, veggies, seeds, beans, nuts and other legumes. I usually have a fresh green veggie juice and/or fresh green smoothie almost daily for the nutrition content, the energy they give me, and because I just love the flavor and texture of a good juice or smoothie. I also try to incorporate fresh organic eggs and wild-caught fish into my meal plan a few times per week, and occasionally organic animal protein. I tried venison for the first time and really liked it. I try not to consume gluten, dairy or processed foods. I’m a huge believer in the 90:10 rule. 90% of my eating is devoted to organic, seasonal and fresh whole foods. The other 10%? I don’t give a second thought to enjoying a dish as the chef prepares it or eating what’s served to me. While I believe that life is too short to not let food rule the psych, it’s also too short to not feel our absolute best each day. I view food as fuel and eat to feel good, that includes balancing both enjoying what I eat and feeling my absolute best.
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN! Share your healthy eating style and philosophy in the comments below to inspire other readers in our community.